Addiction is something that can pull families apart and truly ruin lives. With constantly increasing rates of opioid addiction and other drugs across the U.S., addiction is a real threat that can drastically affect people’s lives.
In 2011, it was reported that around 20.6 million people were struggling with drug abuse, while only 3 million of those people sought a plan for drug addiction recovery. Nearly 100 people die from a drug overdose every day and there were 5 million drug-related emergency room visits in 2011. Addiction has only increased over the years, too. In 2014, substance use
disorders increased to 21.5 million people in the U.S.
If you are struggling with a drug addiction, remember that you’re never alone and healing from addiction is possible with time. There are a variety of treatment options, including help from a doctor, rehab facilities, family, friends, and Antonio Silva. No matter who you are, you can work on overcoming addiction with help.
WHAT IS ADDICTION AND DEPENDENCY?
Addiction and chemical dependency are illnesses that affect the mind and the body, but the start of addiction is based on changes to your brain chemistry. Your system starts to crave the chemicals that they are addicted to in order to function.
Symptoms of a drug addiction include:
- The feeling that you need to use the substance regularly — either daily or multiple times a day
- Having such intense thoughts about the drug that they block out other thoughts
- Gradually needing more of the drug over time to have the same effect because your body is developing a higher tolerance
- Consuming large amounts of the substance in a shorter time than you intended
- Making sure you always have a supply of the drug
- Spending money on the drug when you can’t afford it or instead of purchasing other necessities like food or clothing
- Failing to fulfill obligations or work responsibilities because of drug use
- Withdrawing from social activities or canceling plans to use the drug instead
- Continuing to use the drug, even if you recognize that it is causing you physical, mental, and emotional problems
- Doing things out of character in order to obtain the drug, like steal
- Driving or performing unsafe activities while under the influence of the substance
- Spending most of your time trying to obtain the drug, doing the drug, and recovering from the effects of the drug
- Experiencing symptoms of withdrawal whenever you try to stop using the drug
Even if you try to stop, you may be unsuccessful in overcoming the addiction because of your body’s dependence on the drug. In fact, trying to quit the substance you’re addicted to “cold turkey” can have devastating results, causing miserable symptoms of withdrawal and even death if your body is addicted to the substance.
Depending on the drug you are dependent on, you could experience any of the following withdrawal symptoms:
- Muscular pain
- Excessive hunger
- Loss of appetite
- Night sweats
- Clammy skin
- Intense cravings for the drug
- Feeling cold
- Excessive sweating
- Stomach cramps
- The need to self-harm
- Severe anxiety
- Difficulty sleeping
- Mental confusion
- Racing thoughts
- Performing activities slowly
- Feeling detached from yourself
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities
- Congestion or runny nose
- Dilated pupils or watery eyes
- Sensitivity to pain
- Slurred speech
- Teeth chattering
- Tingling feet
This information is not to overwhelm you, but is rather to inform you of the sensations you could experience as you begin the journey of healing addiction. Your brain chemistry isn’t the same once you’re addicted to a substance; in order to experience more permanent drug addiction recovery, your brain chemistry has to slowly adjust back to healthy chemical levels. Even then, the feelings of addiction and dependency may never go away completely, but with help you can live a better, longer, and more fulfilling life.
HOW CAN ANTONIO SILVA HELP WITH ADDICTION?
No one should have to work through drug addiction recovery on their own, and healing from addiction takes time and support. Antonio Silva is a natural born intuitive healer who has the unique gift to help anyone with any ailment, condition, or struggle in person or over the phone. His skills leave his clients with feelings of greater strength and a peacefulness that will remain with them through their challenging journey. You don’t have to go through drug addiction recovery alone, so schedule an appointment with Antonio’s Healing Hands to begin healing addiction.